The stars will be out for the film industry’s biggest night! Adults are invited to the Main Library at Goodwood, 7711 Goodwood Blvd., at 6 p.m. Sunday, February 26, for a free, live screening of the Academy Awards show (commonly known as the OSCARS) on the big screen of the Large Meeting Room.
On this night, everyone’s a superstar! Have your picture taken with “paparazzi”, try your hand at guessing the most correct winning movies and enjoy delicious complimentary popcorn, movie candy and soft drinks while you watch. Attendees are encouraged to come dressed in long gown/black tie attire or as a favorite character from a 2016 movie.
Partygoers also should feel free to bring their own finger foods that do not require heat or refrigeration. The show begins at 7:30 p.m. Central Standard Time, but doors will open at 6 p.m. for Red Carpet viewing.
For more information about the OSCARS Viewing Party, call Pabby Arnold at (225) 231-3761.
The holidays are a wonderful time of year to let the people in your life know what you mean to them. If you’re broke as a joke, or at least as broke as a witty comment, come to one of the library’s truly excellent craft programs and leave with something handmade for that special someone. Here is a convenient list of what’s coming up before the end of the year!
- Morse Code Jewelry, December 20th, 3-4 PM – Teens, come to Bluebonnet to make an awesome bracelet or necklace using morse code to spell out a special message! Keychains can also be made. All materials will be provided.
- Crafty Christmas, December 19th-December 23rd, 4-5 PM – Teens can come any day or every day to make a new Christmas craft from ornaments to wrapping paper. Materials will be provided.
- Rocky and Rita Reindeer, December 27th, 10 AM-1 PM – Children can make their own Rocky or Rita Reindeer to use for holiday decorating. Materials will be provided while supplies last.
- Silly Santa Make and Take, December 19th-December 22nd, all day (while supplies last) – Children can celebrate the upcoming holidays by making crafts where silly Santa Clauses are popping out of chimneys feet first! Ages 3 and up.
Delmont Gardens Branch
- Burlap Rudolph Ornament Storycraft, December 20th, 4-5 PM – Children ages 8-11 will read “The Animals’ Santa” by Jan Brett and make burlap Rudolph ornaments. Limited to 12 children. Preregistration required; please call (225) 354-7060 to register.
- 20somethings Holiday Felties, December 21st, 5-7 PM – 20somethings will make weirdly adorable Christmas tree felties.
- Charlie Brown-themed Christmas Wreath Storycraft, December 22nd, 10-11 AM – Children read “A Charlie Brown Christmas” by Charles Schulz and then make a Charlie Brown-themed Christmas wreath. Limited to 12 children, ages 5-9. Preregistration required; please call (225) 354-7060.
- New Year’s Eve Noisemaker Storycraft, December 30th, 10-11 AM – Children will read “Frog and Friends Celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve” by Eve Bunting and make a New Year’s Eve noisemaker. Preregistration required; please call (225) 354-7060. Limited to 10 children, ages 8-11.
Eden Park Branch
- Mindful Crafts and Meditation, December 20th and 27th, 5:30-6:30 PM –Adults are welcome to join us for a craft that increases awareness, inner peace and mindfulness. Examples include creating mandalas, prayer flags, or aromatherapy.
- Holiday Ornaments, December 21st, 5:30-6:30 PM – Adults and 20somethings will make some beautifully unique holiday ornaments using yarn and plastic canvas.
- Holiday Cake Balls, December 22nd, 3:30-4:30 PM – Teens will make some yummy, no-bake cake balls.
- Christmas Stocking Storycraft, December 17th, 11 AM-12 PM – Children will listen to the classic How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss. Then the children will decorate a stocking made out of felt. They can hang up their unique stocking just in time for Christmas. For ages 4-11. Please register by calling (225) 924-9386.
Jones Creek Branch
- DIY Sugar Scrubs, December 22nd, 3-4 PM – Teens, learn how to make your own luxurious sugar scrubs to use as a gift or to keep for yourself!
- Countdown to New Year’s Make and Take, December 28th, 1-4 PM – Children can stop by anytime between 1:00 and 4:00 PM to make an adorable New Year’s paper plate clock, which will be wearing a festive party hat! All ages.
- Ugly Holiday Sweaters for 20somethings, December 17th, 1-3 PM – 20somethings should bring their poor, un-decorated sweatshirts to cover them with various tacky objects. Also, snacks! The snacks are for eating, not for putting on the sweaters.
- Santa and Snowman Make and Take, December 19th, 10 AM-4 PM – Children will be able to choose whether they would like to make a Santa or a Snowman. For children ages 3 to 11. All children under the age of 9 must be accompanied by an adult. Sorry, no groups.
- Holiday Ornaments, December 22nd, 2:30-3:15 PM – Children will sing Christmas carols and make holiday ornaments to take home. All children under the age of 9 must be accompanied by an adult. For children ages 5 to 7. Registration is required (call (225) 231-2740) and limited to 10 children. Sorry, no groups.
- Corn Husk Angels, December 14th (today!), 4-5 PM – Teens can come to Pride-Chaneyville Branch Library and make the perfect addition to your holiday tree or to dress-up that special gift for Mom. We’ll be making angels out of real corn husks, yarn, and felt.
River Center Branch
- Christmas Ornaments Make-and-Take, December 14th-17th, 10 AM-4 PM (while supplies last) – Children can make their own Christmas Tree ornaments at River Center Branch Library using pipe cleaners and beads. Bring your imagination to craft candy canes, wreaths, and more! Children 6 and up. Groups must register. For more information and to register, call 389-4959.
- Trim-a-Tree Make and Take, December 19th-23rd, 10 AM-4 PM (while supplies last) – Children can design their own Christmas Tree with construction paper, pom-poms and stickers. Ages 3-11. No registration required.
- Pretty Paper Ornaments, December 22nd, 4-5:30 PM – Teens, come by the Zachary Branch Library and make a variety of pretty paper Christmas ornaments, like woven paper snowflakes, origami orbs and more! All supplies will be provided.