The Food Bank continues to visit neighborhood distribution points to provide food to those in need. Times and locations are announced the day before on their website. Their warehouse has been repaired and sanitized, and they are in the process of moving operations back to the Fraenkel Center at 10600 S Choctaw Drive. Call them at (225) 359-9940 for more information.
The Arts Council of Greater Baton Rouge has put together a website on creative relief opportunities for local artists and community groups. This includes emergency grants from institutions like the Joan Mitchell Foundation and CERF+, as well as fundraising by Louisiana businesses and artists.
Expanded curbside debris removal began Monday, September 19th. To take advantage of the Private Property Debris Removal program, the debris must be within 30 feet of the public right-of-way, and residents must have sent in a signed Right-of-Entry form to the City-Parish. Debris removal is only available within limits of the City of Baton Rouge and East Baton Rouge Parish. Forms can be turned in at the following locations, where they will be picked up by representatives:
- PRIMARY LOCATION – Cypress Building, 10201 Celtic Drive, Suite B
- Chaneyville Community Center, 13211 Jackson Road
- Pride Library, 13600 Pride Port Hudson Road
- Jewel J. Newman Community Center, 2013 Central Road
- Charles R. Kelly Community Center, 3535 Riley Street
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave.
- Jones Creek Branch Library, 6222 Jones Creek Road
- Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 E. Washington Street
- Fairwood Branch Library, 12910 Old Hammond Highway
While the Greenwell Springs Road Regional Branch is still closed, our bookmobile will be out there from 10 AM – 5 PM today with outreach personnel and FEMA representatives to help answer your flood-related recovery questions. We’ve also recently acquired the Home Improvement Reference Center, a database chock full of do-it-yourself remodeling and repair information. It’s accessible anywhere there’s internet with your library card number.
The Recycled Reads used book sale will begin again this Saturday, September 25th, at our new(ish) location at 3434 North Boulevard.