If you’re trapped inside and you feel like you’re about to start climbing the walls because frankly it has rained enough this year, may I suggest some light escapism via free stuff from the library? There’s more now than ever before! (Because growth and development is important, even, or especially, in public institutions.)
- OverDrive – One-stop shop for all your ebook and audiobook needs! Can you call something a “shop” if it’s free? You get the idea.
- One Click Digital – EVEN MORE ebooks and audiobooks! If it’s not in OverDrive, it might be here. There is no overlap in the two collections, providing you with even more content.
- TumbleBooks – Books for the kindergarten through third graders among us. If you need a way to keep your little ones from complaining too much about being stuck inside, this is a great one!
- Criterion Collection – Streaming content of all films considered part of the Criterion Collection. Neat!
- IndieFlix – Short and full-length indie films you can access with your library card!
- Qello Concerts – Filmed recordings of live concerts! What a great way to get out of the house without actually, you know, having to get out of the house.
- OverDrive – EVEN MORE THINGS (what can’t it do?) (Control the weather. Ugh.)
Learn some things!
- Languages! The linked infoguide has information about most of our language learning provided software, like Mango, Muzzy (a great resource for kids!), ESL, and Signing Savvy! We’ve also got Pronunciator.
- Computer programming! So many options. Safari Tech Books is great if you like to learn from books, or sites like Treehouse, Atomic Training, and Lynda can teach you via recorded video and audio lessons that show you exactly what to do to get the results you want.
- Why not try going back to school with the Gale Virtual Reference Library? It has lots of titles to help you prepare for entrance exams like the SAT, GRE, GMAT, SAT, Nursing and Civil Service Exams.
There’s literally nothing you can’t do!