The holidays are a wonderful time of year to let the people in your life know what you mean to them. If you’re broke as a joke, or at least as broke as a witty comment, come to one of the library’s truly excellent craft programs and leave with something handmade for that special someone. Here is a convenient list of what’s coming up before the end of the year!
- Morse Code Jewelry, December 20th, 3-4 PM – Teens, come to Bluebonnet to make an awesome bracelet or necklace using morse code to spell out a special message! Keychains can also be made. All materials will be provided.
- Crafty Christmas, December 19th-December 23rd, 4-5 PM – Teens can come any day or every day to make a new Christmas craft from ornaments to wrapping paper. Materials will be provided.
- Rocky and Rita Reindeer, December 27th, 10 AM-1 PM – Children can make their own Rocky or Rita Reindeer to use for holiday decorating. Materials will be provided while supplies last.
- Silly Santa Make and Take, December 19th-December 22nd, all day (while supplies last) – Children can celebrate the upcoming holidays by making crafts where silly Santa Clauses are popping out of chimneys feet first! Ages 3 and up.
Delmont Gardens Branch
- Burlap Rudolph Ornament Storycraft, December 20th, 4-5 PM – Children ages 8-11 will read “The Animals’ Santa” by Jan Brett and make burlap Rudolph ornaments. Limited to 12 children. Preregistration required; please call (225) 354-7060 to register.
- 20somethings Holiday Felties, December 21st, 5-7 PM – 20somethings will make weirdly adorable Christmas tree felties.
- Charlie Brown-themed Christmas Wreath Storycraft, December 22nd, 10-11 AM – Children read “A Charlie Brown Christmas” by Charles Schulz and then make a Charlie Brown-themed Christmas wreath. Limited to 12 children, ages 5-9. Preregistration required; please call (225) 354-7060.
- New Year’s Eve Noisemaker Storycraft, December 30th, 10-11 AM – Children will read “Frog and Friends Celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve” by Eve Bunting and make a New Year’s Eve noisemaker. Preregistration required; please call (225) 354-7060. Limited to 10 children, ages 8-11.
Eden Park Branch
- Mindful Crafts and Meditation, December 20th and 27th, 5:30-6:30 PM –Adults are welcome to join us for a craft that increases awareness, inner peace and mindfulness. Examples include creating mandalas, prayer flags, or aromatherapy.
- Holiday Ornaments, December 21st, 5:30-6:30 PM – Adults and 20somethings will make some beautifully unique holiday ornaments using yarn and plastic canvas.
- Holiday Cake Balls, December 22nd, 3:30-4:30 PM – Teens will make some yummy, no-bake cake balls.
- Christmas Stocking Storycraft, December 17th, 11 AM-12 PM – Children will listen to the classic How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss. Then the children will decorate a stocking made out of felt. They can hang up their unique stocking just in time for Christmas. For ages 4-11. Please register by calling (225) 924-9386.
Jones Creek Branch
- DIY Sugar Scrubs, December 22nd, 3-4 PM – Teens, learn how to make your own luxurious sugar scrubs to use as a gift or to keep for yourself!
- Countdown to New Year’s Make and Take, December 28th, 1-4 PM – Children can stop by anytime between 1:00 and 4:00 PM to make an adorable New Year’s paper plate clock, which will be wearing a festive party hat! All ages.
- Ugly Holiday Sweaters for 20somethings, December 17th, 1-3 PM – 20somethings should bring their poor, un-decorated sweatshirts to cover them with various tacky objects. Also, snacks! The snacks are for eating, not for putting on the sweaters.
- Santa and Snowman Make and Take, December 19th, 10 AM-4 PM – Children will be able to choose whether they would like to make a Santa or a Snowman. For children ages 3 to 11. All children under the age of 9 must be accompanied by an adult. Sorry, no groups.
- Holiday Ornaments, December 22nd, 2:30-3:15 PM – Children will sing Christmas carols and make holiday ornaments to take home. All children under the age of 9 must be accompanied by an adult. For children ages 5 to 7. Registration is required (call (225) 231-2740) and limited to 10 children. Sorry, no groups.
- Corn Husk Angels, December 14th (today!), 4-5 PM – Teens can come to Pride-Chaneyville Branch Library and make the perfect addition to your holiday tree or to dress-up that special gift for Mom. We’ll be making angels out of real corn husks, yarn, and felt.
River Center Branch
- Christmas Ornaments Make-and-Take, December 14th-17th, 10 AM-4 PM (while supplies last) – Children can make their own Christmas Tree ornaments at River Center Branch Library using pipe cleaners and beads. Bring your imagination to craft candy canes, wreaths, and more! Children 6 and up. Groups must register. For more information and to register, call 389-4959.
- Trim-a-Tree Make and Take, December 19th-23rd, 10 AM-4 PM (while supplies last) – Children can design their own Christmas Tree with construction paper, pom-poms and stickers. Ages 3-11. No registration required.
- Pretty Paper Ornaments, December 22nd, 4-5:30 PM – Teens, come by the Zachary Branch Library and make a variety of pretty paper Christmas ornaments, like woven paper snowflakes, origami orbs and more! All supplies will be provided.