OverDrive has come out with a brand-new app for library users – Libby!
It’s got lots of new features:
- Quick and easy for first time users
- Integrated reading and listening experience with OverDrive Read and OverDrive Listen
- No Adobe ID or account registration required
- Faster performance and powerful search
- Same experience on all devices
- Customizable browsing options to find the books you want faster
- Simplified download settings
- Fixed-layout and Read-Along eBook support
- Support for eBook highlights and annotations
- Custom lists for tagging books you love, want to read and more
Do you need Libby if you’ve already got the OverDrive app? No! You can keep using the OverDrive app if you’re comfortable with it. OverDrive is not planning to stop supporting the OverDrive app – Libby’s just a new option for people who want one.
Can you use both apps? If you want to, sure! Both apps will connect to your library account. However, they will not sync – so progress you make on a book in the OverDrive app won’t show up on the same title in Libby. So it’s probably best to stick with one or the other.
How are they different? Eventually, the only difference between Libby and the OG OverDrive app will be how they operate. Right now, OverDrive has a few more features that are still being incorporated into Libby, such as accessibility, Reading Rooms, Recommend to Library, and multilingual support. If you make regular use of any of those features, stick with OverDrive for now. OverDrive users will be invited in-app to try out Libby later in the year.
Check out the following video to learn more about it, and remember that you can always call your friendly neighborhood reference librarians at (225)231-3750 for help getting started with library databases.