Stuck at home doing holiday prep and desperately in need of a break? Check out all the digital resources you can use to freely entertain yourself without stepping away from your holiday cookies (if that’s a thing you do):
- OverDrive – One-stop shop for all your ebook and audiobook needs! Can you call something a “shop” if it’s free? You get the idea.
- RBDigital – EVEN MORE ebooks and audiobooks! If it’s not in OverDrive, it might be here.
- TumbleBooks – Books for the kindergarten through third graders among us. If you need a way to keep your little ones from complaining too much about being stuck inside, this is a great one!
- RBdigital (formerly Zinio) – Digital copies of all your favorite periodicals!
- Flipster – Magazines without downloading!
- IndieFlix – Short and full-length indie films you can access with your library card!
- Qello Concerts – Filmed recordings of live concerts! What a great way to get out of the house without actually, you know, having to get out of the house.
- Kanopy – Documentaries, foreign films, and almost everything else you could possibly want!
- OverDrive – EVEN MORE THINGS (what can’t it do?) (Control the weather. Ugh.)
Learn some things!
- Languages! The linked infoguide has information about most of our language learning provided software, like Mango, Muzzy (a great resource for kids!), ESL, and Signing Savvy! We’ve also got Pronunciator.
- Computer programming! So many options. Safari Tech Books is great if you like to learn from books, or sites like Treehouse, Atomic Training, and Lynda can teach you via recorded video and audio lessons that show you exactly what to do to get the results you want.
- Why not try going back to school with the Gale Virtual Reference Library? It has lots of titles to help you prepare for entrance exams like the SAT, GRE, GMAT, SAT, Nursing and Civil Service Exams.
There’s literally nothing you can’t do!