Were you unable to attend the all-virtual Mid City Micro Con on August 28th? No fear! We recorded the whole livestream and each of the breakout sessions, and we’ve conveniently edited them for your viewing pleasure. Find all of them on our YouTube channel, visit our infoguide for more information, or read on for a short synopsis of each event. (If you saw the livestream, check out our YouTube channel for extra content from this year’s creators!)
- In Living Color: YouTube, Podcasts, & Online Content – This virtual panel discusses comics and content creation beyond the page, featuring INDAFILM (creators of Trapped In Anime), Gamma Rae Cosplay, Donterrian Kelly (creator of Anime On A Couch), Tyronecia Moore, and moderator Chenese Lewis.
- Creating Authentic Storyworlds: Latinx Representation in Comics – Representation matters. And authentic representation matters even more. But what makes for authentic representation? Join us as we dialogue with comics artists, writers, scholars, and graphic design professionals in exploring how to create authentic storyworlds that include Latinx images and voices. Featuring Henry Barajas, Javier Hernandez, Luisa Restrepo, William “Memo” Nericcio, and moderator Stephen Andes.
- Our Experiences & How They Drive Our Storytelling with Jason Walz – Jason Walz, creator of Last Pick, Homesick, & A Story for Desmond, will talk about how a variety of voices, perspectives, and interests shape the stories we tell. He’ll share his route into comics, his creative process, and the importance of disability representation in comics and art.
- Live Drawing Lunch Break – Cartoonist Ethan Killett does some live drawing between panels!
- Self-Publishing Comics with the Tuskegee Heirs Crew – Join Greg Burnham and Marcus Williams, creators of Tuskegee Heirs and The Search for Sadiqah, as they explain all things self-publishing and why it’s important in today’s climate. A Q&A session will follow their presentation, moderated by Keith Cooper.
- Let’s Make Comics! with Javier Hernandez – Cartoonist Javier Hernandez conducts an interactive workshop where you’re guided through the steps into making a one page comic. We’ll do some character designs then proceed to work on the comic together. All you need is a connection to the internet as well as a pencil and some sheets of paper to draw on!
- Bring it Back: Using the Past to Create the Future – Join us for a virtual panel exploring the role history plays in comics and artistic expression. Featuring Moana McAdams, Nuri McAdams, Katlin Sweeney, and moderator Rodneyna Hart.
- Cosplay Competition Awards – Join us as we celebrate everyone who registered for the virtual cosplay competition & reveal the winners! Featuring judges Ninja Yoyo Cosplay, Gamma Rae Cosplay, and Lady Luna Loveless of Cajun Moon Creations.
- Worldbuilding: Creating the World of Sankofa’s Eymbrace with Antoine GHOST Mitchell & Erica AYXA Williams-Mitchell – What makes an Afro-Fantasy? Join Antoine GHOST Mitchell & Erica AYXA Williams-Mitchell as they present to you many cultural elements that went into creating their ongoing comic book series, Sankofa’s Eymbrace.
All videos have automatically generated captions, and we’ll also be doing special posts for each video as the transcripts become available. Go make art!