Recycled Reads is back! The library’s gently-used book sale will be held tomorrow from 9 AM-2 PM at 3434 North Boulevard. It’s not just books – you can find DVDs, CDs, LPs, and more! Most items are just one (1) dollar ($), so come see what you can find.
The Children’s Services Department of the East Baton Rouge Parish Library invites members of East Baton Rouge Parish to vote to discover the area’s favorite children’s picture book and chapter book suitable for children ages 1-11! Starting Tuesday, January 1, through Thursday, February 28, the community can share their favorite children’s title on the Library’s Kids’ page, or on Facebook. Once the first phase of the contest is completed, Library staff will assemble a list of the top 25 picture books and the top 25 chapter books. The second phase of voting begins Monday, April 1, through Wednesday, May 15. Join us for the Reveal Party at the Main Library at Goodwood at 3 p.m. Sunday, May 26, to find out the favorite picture book and favorite chapter book titles!
All branches of the library are closed today to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The Digital Library is always open.
If you would like to learn more about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., we particularly recommend the library’s streaming video service, Kanopy. You will find several documentaries on Dr. King’s life, his work in the civil rights movement, and the lives of some of the other leaders of that movement. Kanopy is free with your library card, and you will find it in the digital library.
Additional free tax assistance dates have been set by the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, run by Capital Area United Way. VITA will be using some of the library’s meeting spaces to provide individuals with free income tax help. Check out the following flyer with dates and times:
Don’t miss SUPER TAX DAY, February 9th at the Main Library on Goodwood! VITA will be doing taxes like mad from 8 AM-5 PM. Bring all your financial records and all your identification and maybe a snack, just to be safe – it’s hard to do your taxes on an empty stomach.
Join us for an informational session next Thursday, January 24th, on Gale’s small business resources, available free to you through EBRPL.
- Gale Small Business Builder: A step-by-step online planning tool for starting, managing and optimizing a business or nonprofit. The program’s intuitive dashboard walks users through five areas of exploration to develop a business plan focused on long-term success.
- Gale Small Business Resource Center: Covers all aspects of starting and operating a business, including accounting, finance, human resources, management, marketing, tax, and more.
- Gale Legal Forms: Offers legal forms that are state-specific. Many of the forms are available in Word or Adobe format and can be edited and used with minor modifications to suit users’ needs by simply “filling in the blanks” with relevant and accurate information. Completed sample forms are also included.
A lunch will be provided by our friends from Gale.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (225) 231-3750.
Need to decompress from a long day at the office? Maybe you’re just looking for a way to get creative and relieve stress. Either way, we’re here to help! Adults are invited to join us at the Library this month for FREE coloring sessions. We’ll provide the coloring sheets and colors, but you should feel free to bring your own. Here’s the schedule:
- 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, January 16th, Main Library
- 4 p.m. Wednesday, January 23, Fairwood Branch
- 4:30 p.m. Thursday, January 24, Scotlandville Branch
- 11 a.m. Saturday, January 26, Central Branch
- 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, January 30th, Main Library
- 4 p.m. Thursday, January 31, Eden Park Branch
Public use fax machines are available at every library branch! Sending a fax costs $1.75 for the first page, and $1.00 for every page after that. Payments can only be made with a credit or debit card. Fax machines can generally be found next to the printers, and may look like phones – just lift the receiver and follow along with the prompts to send your fax!
Get ready for tax prep season with Bank On Baton Rouge next Tuesday, January 15th, at the Main Library, starting at 6 PM! Experts will provide tips on tax preparation, paying off debt, spending wisely, and saving to become a homeowner. You’ll be all ready to go to one of the AARP free tax prep events that start in February!