Your East Baton Rouge Parish Library is proud to partner with BlinkJar Media to present Get Your Business Online with Google, a free program specifically tailored for local small businesses. Google is spending the money and resources to send Google’s National Trainer, Sixcia Devine, to Baton Rouge to discuss directly with business owners the Ultimate Marketing Playbook for Using Google.
Join Google, Simply-360, and BlinkJar Media for this one time opportunity on December 13, 2018, at the Main Library on Goodwood. The event starts at 8:30 AM. Breakfast and lots of coffee will be served.
Make sure to RSVP online! The first 75 RSVP-ers get awesome Google swag!
This great workshop from the Career Center will teach you how to find reliable sources of income you can find at home! Please call (225) 231-3733 or go online to register.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2018
10:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M.
MAIN LIBRARY AT GOODWOOD BLVD.
ROOM 102, 1ST FLOOR
Registration required. Please call (225) 231-3733 or register online here.
Are you searching for a new job? Your performance during an interview can land you – or cost you – your dream job. Learn to perfect your job interview skills through this seminar. Career Center staff will present:
- Tips for a great interview
- Common traps and pitfalls to avoid
- Interactive demonstrations for answering the most common interview questions
Are you interested in starting a nonprofit? Nonprofits are 501 (c) (3) organizations, which means they are formed for religious, charitable, scientific, literary, or educational purposes, and they are eligible for federal and state tax exemptions. Come and attend this informative hands-on workshop to learn what is required to create a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt organization.
The Career Center is hosting this workshop in cooperation with the Southeast Louisiana Women’s Business Center. The workshop will be presented by Joyce James, MBA, Director of SELA Women’s Business Center. Registration is required. Please call 225-231-3733 or register online here.
Job Club for Job Seekers in Professional Careers
SEPTEMBER 7, 2018 – DECEMBER 16, 2018
14-WEEK PROGRAM, FRIDAYS 10 AM – 1 PM
MAIN LIBRARY AT GOODWOOD
CONFERENCE ROOM A, LOCATED ON THE 2nd Floor
The Career Center of the East Baton Rouge Parish Library is sponsoring this 14-week job search and networking group (job club) for job seekers in professional careers. Job searching can be a lonely and discouraging activity, and this group will provide you with a safe space and like-minded professionals. Share experiences, network, encourage, learn the latest job search techniques, and be accountable to each other. This workshop is free of charge and open to individuals in professional careers who are seeking employment.
- Week 1 – Introduction and Job Search Basics
- Week 2 – Traditional Job Search 201
- Week 3 – Resumes
- Week 4 – Informational Interviews and Networking
- Week 5 – Job Search Letters
- Week 6 – Personal Branding and Developing the Elevator Pitch
- Week 7 – Everything You Need to Know About the Interview, Part 1
- Week 8 – Everything You Need to Know About the Interview, Part 2
- Week 9 – Social Media for the Job Search
- Week 10 – Managing Personal Finances
- Week 11 – Dealing with Change / What If I Didn’t Get the Job
- Week 12 – Salary Negotiation
- Week 13 – Starting Your Own Business
- Week 14 – What if I Do Get the Job? How to get off to the right start
Lynnette Lee, of the Career Center, will lead a workshop on how to write a great resume.
- Learn to structure your resume so that it showcases your most valuable skills.
- Learn formatting techniques that will make your resume look clean and professional.
- Learn the biggest red flags that employers look for on resumes and how to avoid them.
This event will take place on Saturday, July 21st, at the Main Library on Goodwood, from 10:30 AM – 12 PM. Registration is required; you can call the career center at (225) 231-3733 or go online to register.
Job fairs can be a great place to make connections with employers…but only if you know how to do it well. If you’d like to improve your job-fair know-how, please join us for this free seminar. Career Center staff will discuss what to expect at job fairs, how to prepare, and how to avoid common mistakes.
After you attend this event, use your newly-sharpened skills at the EmployBR spring job fair! Keep an eye on their website for details on the time and location.
* * * Please note that this event, originally scheduled for June 26th, has been postponed. For more information, please call the Career Center at (225) 231-3733. You can find information on upcoming Career Center events on their website. * * *
Have you been following the Career Center’s Cool Careers: Summer Series? There are so many careers for you to learn about, whether you’re a teen thinking about life after high school or an adult looking for a change.
Join us at the Main Library this Wednesday, June 20th, for a panel of beauty industry experts, including the owner of Cutrone’s Barber Shop and acclaimed and frequently published makeup/hair artist Cekeisha Williams. The presentation will begin at 11 AM. Registration is required; you can register for next week’s event on the Career Center’s website, or by calling (225) 231-3733.
If this doesn’t seem like the career for you, check out what else the Career Center has in store this summer! The Cool Careers Summer Series is primarily geared towards teenagers, but adults are welcome – it’s never too late, or too early, to find out what you’re meant to be doing.
Do you want to grow your small business? Join us Monday, June 18th, at 11:30 AM for a lunch and learn session with ReferenceUSA. With ReferenceUSA, you can do all kinds of sales and marketing research, learn about other businesses in your area, and more! A light lunch will be served. For more information, email us at email@example.com.