Has your child signed up for summer reading? Summer reading parties start this Monday! Check the list below for the celebration at your local branch:
- Central Branch – Monday, July 23rd, 10AM
- Bluebonnet Regional Branch – Monday, July 23rd, 6:30PM
- Carver Branch – Tuesday, July 24th, 10AM
- Fairwood Branch – Wednesday, July 25th, 10AM
- Zachary Branch – Wednesday, July 25th, 10AM
- Jones Creek Regional Branch – Wednesday, July 25th, 6:30PM
- Delmont Gardens Branch – Thursday, July 26th, 10AM
- Eden Park Branch – Thursday, July 26th, 3PM
- Scotlandville Branch – Monday, July 30th, 10AM
- Greenwell Springs Road Regional Branch – Monday, July 30th, 6:30PM
- Baker Branch – Tuesday, July 31st, 10AM
- Pride-Chaneyville Branch – Tuesday, July 31st, 3PM
- Main Library on Goodwood – Wednesday, August 1st, 10AM
Teens can celebrate, too! The teen summer reading party schedule is as follows:
- Fairwood Branch – Tuesday, July 24th, 3:30PM
- Greenwell Springs Road Regional Branch – Saturday, July 28th, 3PM
- Baker Branch – Monday, July 30th, 2PM
- Eden Park Branch – Monday, July 30th, 3PM
- Pride-Chaneyville Branch – Monday, July 30th, 4PM
- River Center Branch – Tuesday, July 31st, 1:30PM
- Delmont Gardens Branch – Tuesday, July 31st, 2:30PM
- Jones Creek Regional Branch – Tuesday, July 31st, 2:30PM
- Bluebonnet Regional Branch – Tuesday, July 31st, 4PM
- Main Library on Goodwood – Wednesday, August 1st, 12PM
- Zachary Branch – Tuesday, August 7th, 6PM
Not finished with your reading logs? No problem! Finished reading logs can be turned in until August 15th to win prizes and an entry into the big prize drawing! Keep reading, Baton Rouge!
Lynnette Lee, of the Career Center, will lead a workshop on how to write a great resume.
- Learn to structure your resume so that it showcases your most valuable skills.
- Learn formatting techniques that will make your resume look clean and professional.
- Learn the biggest red flags that employers look for on resumes and how to avoid them.
This event will take place on Saturday, July 21st, at the Main Library on Goodwood, from 10:30 AM – 12 PM. Registration is required; you can call the career center at (225) 231-3733 or go online to register.
Check out these upcoming tech events at your local library!
Innovation Space A/V and 3D Badging Classes – The Bluebonnet Regional Branch has a GoPro, Sennheiser microphones, a Yamaha mixer, green screens, instrument cables and XLR cables and a 3D printer available for patron use in its Innovation Space – totally FREE! Adults and teens age 12 & up welcome to attend:
• A/V Badging Class – Saturday, July 14 at 2 p.m.
• 3D Printing Badging Class – Wednesday, July 25 at 2 p.m.
Once you’ve completed a class, you’ll be able to reserve the room on your own to create a podcast or make a cool video to upload to YouTube.
Open Play Multiplayer Virtual Reality – Adults and teens ages 13 and up can gather at the Main Library at Goodwood at 3 p.m. Tuesday, July 24, to enjoy multiplayer virtual reality games! Come play Rec Room paintball, exterminate zombies in Dead and Buried and play futuristic Frisbee in Echo Arena on the Library’s three Oculus Rift headsets.
Tiny Tech Talks – Louisiana State University (LSU) Division of Computer Sciences and Engineering Professor Dr. Feng Chen joins us for the first in a series of educational talks featuring technology educational professionals at the Main Library at Goodwood at 3 p.m. Wednesday, July 11! Adults and teens will hear from educators from across the state who’ll discuss different areas of specialty including computer sciences, engineering and everything in between. You won’t want to miss it!
Do you want to grow your small business? Join us Monday, June 18th, at 11:30 AM for a lunch and learn session with ReferenceUSA. With ReferenceUSA, you can do all kinds of sales and marketing research, learn about other businesses in your area, and more! A light lunch will be served. For more information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hey, 20somethings! Give your Netflix account a break and come play a board game with some new friends! The Zachary branch is hosting a board games night next Thursday, June 14th, at 6 PM. Call (225) 658-1850 to let them know you’re coming, and they’ll save a brownie just for you.
To borrow from Parks and Recreation’s Johnny Karate, make something! Learn something! Karate-chop something (remember, kids, never karate-chop a REAL library employee)! Try something new even if it’s scary to you! And be nice to someone, all summer long.
Everyone’s favorite summer movie series is back! Starting this week, the Main Library on Goodwood will show a free family-friendly movie in the plaza every Friday in June. Here’s the schedule:
The show starts at 7 PM. All movies will be simultaneously shown in the Large Meeting Room, for those of you who want to beat the heat. Refreshments will be available for purchase. Registration is not required.
Humans between the ages of 18 and 30ish! Have you ever covered for your art by saying you were trying to emulate Picasso? Is this ever the event for you! Come make some art so bad it’s good at the Zachary Branch next Wednesday, May 15th, at 6 PM! Call (225) 658-1850 to register.
Celebrate 25 years of the Bluebonnet Regional Library’s service to the community this Saturday from 2-5 PM!
If you haven’t seen some of the new features in this quarter-century branch, now is the time! There’s a new art gallery area, a giant Lite Brite in the Children’s Room, and a 3D printer and GoPro in the Innovation Space. While you explore the updates, enjoy music from the Lagniappe Dulcimer Society, birthday cake, face painting and crafts for the children, and FREE entry into the Bluebonnet Swamp. Grab a snack from the Lemonade Bus – it’s snowball season!
We’ll see you at the party!