Join the Hampstead Stage Company at the Library this month for a special presentation of Stories in the Stars! Children ages 5-11 are invited to soar through the stars in this compilation performance of Greek myths. Hear stories of the wind, sun and moon, and seasons, plus explore various constellations and starry legends. Registration is required for all. For more information and to register, call the Children’s Room at the Library location directly. Here’s the schedule:
- 10 a.m. Monday, July 8, Delmont Gardens Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 8, Jones Creek Regional Branch
- 10 a.m. Tuesday, July 9, Pride-Chaneyville Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 9, Zachary Branch
- 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 10, Scotlandville Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 10, Baker Branch
- 10 a.m. Thursday, July 11, Eden Park Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Thursday, July 11, Bluebonnet Regional Branch
- 10 a.m. Monday, July 15, Fairwood Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 15, Carver Branch
- 10 a.m. Tuesday, July 16, Central Branch
Elizabeth “Lady Chops” Vidos is a professional percussionist who performed in the Off-Broadway show STOMP for ten years. Kids ages 4-11 are invited to the Library to enjoy her exciting show, which is an interactive journey of sound exploration! Hear beats and melodies from local and international instruments, buckets and body percussion. You won’t believe your ears! Here’s the schedule:
- 10 a.m. Monday, July 1, Greenwell Springs Road Regional Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 1, Central Branch
- 10 a.m. Tuesday, July 2, Delmont Gardens Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 2, Jones Creek Regional Branch
- 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 3, Fairwood Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 3, Pride-Chaneyville Branch
- 10 a.m. Monday, July 15, Zachary Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 15, Main Library at Goodwood
- 10 a.m. Tuesday, July 16, Scotlandville Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, Eden Park Branch
- 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 17, Baker Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 17, Bluebonnet Regional Branch
- 10 a.m. Thursday, July 18, River Center Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Thursday, July 18, Carver Branch
The Countdown has begun…join Louisiana Public Broadcasting, the Louisiana Space Grant Consortium and the East Baton Rouge Parish Library Main for a special one-hour preview of the ALL-NEW documentary Chasing the Moon from PBS and American Experience Monday, June 17th. The evening begins with refreshments at 6:30 followed by the screening and a panel discussion.
Chasing the Moon, a film by Robert Stone, reimagines the race to the moon for a new generation, upending much of the conventional mythology surrounding the effort. The series recasts the Space Age as a fascinating stew of scientific innovation, political calculation, media spectacle, visionary impulses and personal drama. Utilizing a visual feast of previously overlooked and lost archival material — much of which has never before been seen by the public — the film features a diverse cast of characters who played key roles in these historic events. Among those included are astronauts Buzz Aldrin, Frank Borman and Bill Anders; Sergei Khrushchev, son of the former Soviet premier and a leading Soviet rocket engineer; Poppy Northcutt, a 25-year old “mathematics whiz” who gained worldwide attention as the first woman to serve in the all-male bastion of NASA’s Mission Control; and Ed Dwight, the Air Force pilot selected by the Kennedy administration to train as America’s first black astronaut.
Empty Bowls is an international project to fight hunger, personalized by artists and art organizations on a community level. Join us TOMORROW, April 13th, at the Main Library at Goodwood for this unique fundraising effort! The floor will open at 11:30 AM, and you can get lunch and a beautiful handmade bowl until 1:00 PM.
Presented by Baton Rouge Clinic, WVLA and FOX44, the event offers access to hundreds of handcrafted ceramic bowls from local Baton Rouge artists, followed by a simple meal. Tickets are $20, and include a delicious lunch, plus one ceramic bowl of your choosing. Additional bowls can be purchased at the event. All proceeds from Empty Bowls will benefit the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank. For more information, visit the Food Bank’s website.
As part of the One Book One Community celebration of The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, authors Diana Rowland, Em Shotwell, Eden Butler and Cherie Claire will be at the Main Library at Goodwood at 3 p.m. Sunday, April 14, to present a panel for adults on how they’ve used the south’s rich storytelling history to craft books involving magic, monsters and more! From folklore, to local legend, to modern creations, we celebrate a history that is ripe for creating tales to give readers chills. Be sure to bring all your burning questions!
Learn more about the participating authors here:
Don’t forget to check out all the One Book, One Community events still happening this year!
It’s that time again … time to begin this year’s One Book One Community (OBOC) celebration of The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle! Everyone in the whole family is invited to join us for a fun, FREE street party at the Main Library at Goodwood from 6 until 8 p.m. Saturday, February 23. You won’t want to miss this family friendly event that’ll formally kick off the spring reading program with activities including FREE food, games and prizes, crafts, face painting, an old-fashioned Cake Walk to win a delicious confection, live music by the Wael and Anna band, plus a visit from Sherlock Holmes and much more!
In addition, events will be planned throughout the spring through May with book clubs, community groups, discussions on addiction and substance abuse, film screenings and more related to the book and its author. For more information about this year’s OBOC season, the book and a full schedule of events and programs, visit www.ReadOneBook.org.
Additional free tax assistance dates have been set by the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, run by Capital Area United Way. VITA will be using some of the library’s meeting spaces to provide individuals with free income tax help. Check out the following flyer with dates and times:
Don’t miss SUPER TAX DAY, February 9th at the Main Library on Goodwood! VITA will be doing taxes like mad from 8 AM-5 PM. Bring all your financial records and all your identification and maybe a snack, just to be safe – it’s hard to do your taxes on an empty stomach.
It’s that time of year again, and Hugo Kringle (Santa’s younger brother, played by Mike Anderson the Dulcimer Guy) is coming to town! He’ll be at the Library this month to serenade children ages 3-9 with popular holiday songs and stories of growing up with the boy who would become Santa Claus. Registration is required for all. To register, call the Children’s Room at the Library location directly.
Here’s the schedule:
- 10 a.m. Thursday, December 13, Carver Branch
- 6:30 p.m. Thursday, December 13, Eden Park Branch
- 10 a.m. Monday, December 17, Scotlandville Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Monday, December 17, Fairwood Branch
- 6:30 p.m. Monday, December 17, Jones Creek Regional Branch
- 10 a.m. Tuesday, December 18, Zachary Branch
- 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, December 18, Central Branch
- 10 a.m. Wednesday, December 19, Main Library at Goodwood
- 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, December 19, Pride-Chaneyville Branch
The Louisiana Art & Science Museum’s (LASM) Discover Dome is coming to all library branches again this year for a special free presentation for children of all ages!
Be prepared to be amazed at Let It Snow!, a show that features a variety of festive classics like tunes by Frank Sinatra, Chuck Berry, Burl Ives and Brenda Lee. This family friendly soundtrack is visually enhanced with full dome animation, laser imagery and special effects in the audio/visual setting of the Discovery Dome. Attendees also will enjoy a stunning multi-media finale by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Each branch will host four 30-minute shows.
Here are the remaining locations and times:
- Monday, December 10th – Main Library at Goodwood – 4-7 PM (TEENS ONLY)
- Tuesday, December 11th – Baker Branch Library – 3-6 PM
- Wednesday, December 12th – Zachary Branch Library – 10 AM – 1 PM
- Thursday, December 13th – River Center Branch Library – 8:30-11 AM
- Thursday, December 13th – Central Branch Library – 3-6 PM
- Friday, December 14th – Scotlandville Branch Library – 2-5 PM
- Monday, December 17th – Carver Branch Library – 4-7 PM
- Tuesday, December 18th – Main Library at Goodwood – 2:30-5:30 PM
- Wednesday, December 19th – Jones Creek Regional Branch Library – 3-6 PM
- Thursday, December 20th – Eden Park Branch Library – 3-6 PM