It’s that time again … time to begin this year’s One Book One Community (OBOC) celebration of The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle! Everyone in the whole family is invited to join us for a fun, FREE street party at the Main Library at Goodwood from 6 until 8 p.m. Saturday, February 23. You won’t want to miss this family friendly event that’ll formally kick off the spring reading program with activities including FREE food, games and prizes, crafts, face painting, an old-fashioned Cake Walk to win a delicious confection, live music by the Wael and Anna band, plus a visit from Sherlock Holmes and much more!
In addition, events will be planned throughout the spring through May with book clubs, community groups, discussions on addiction and substance abuse, film screenings and more related to the book and its author. For more information about this year’s OBOC season, the book and a full schedule of events and programs, visit www.ReadOneBook.org.
Additional free tax assistance dates have been set by the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, run by Capital Area United Way. VITA will be using some of the library’s meeting spaces to provide individuals with free income tax help. Check out the following flyer with dates and times:
Don’t miss SUPER TAX DAY, February 9th at the Main Library on Goodwood! VITA will be doing taxes like mad from 8 AM-5 PM. Bring all your financial records and all your identification and maybe a snack, just to be safe – it’s hard to do your taxes on an empty stomach.
It’s that time of year again, and Hugo Kringle (Santa’s younger brother, played by Mike Anderson the Dulcimer Guy) is coming to town! He’ll be at the Library this month to serenade children ages 3-9 with popular holiday songs and stories of growing up with the boy who would become Santa Claus. Registration is required for all. To register, call the Children’s Room at the Library location directly.
Here’s the schedule:
- 10 a.m. Thursday, December 13, Carver Branch
- 6:30 p.m. Thursday, December 13, Eden Park Branch
- 10 a.m. Monday, December 17, Scotlandville Branch
- 2:30 p.m. Monday, December 17, Fairwood Branch
- 6:30 p.m. Monday, December 17, Jones Creek Regional Branch
- 10 a.m. Tuesday, December 18, Zachary Branch
- 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, December 18, Central Branch
- 10 a.m. Wednesday, December 19, Main Library at Goodwood
- 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, December 19, Pride-Chaneyville Branch
Be prepared to be amazed at Let It Snow!, a show that features a variety of festive classics like tunes by Frank Sinatra, Chuck Berry, Burl Ives and Brenda Lee. This family friendly soundtrack is visually enhanced with full dome animation, laser imagery and special effects in the audio/visual setting of the Discovery Dome. Attendees also will enjoy a stunning multi-media finale by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Each branch will host four 30-minute shows.
Here are the remaining locations and times:
- Monday, December 10th – Main Library at Goodwood – 4-7 PM (TEENS ONLY)
- Tuesday, December 11th – Baker Branch Library – 3-6 PM
- Wednesday, December 12th – Zachary Branch Library – 10 AM – 1 PM
- Thursday, December 13th – River Center Branch Library – 8:30-11 AM
- Thursday, December 13th – Central Branch Library – 3-6 PM
- Friday, December 14th – Scotlandville Branch Library – 2-5 PM
- Monday, December 17th – Carver Branch Library – 4-7 PM
- Tuesday, December 18th – Main Library at Goodwood – 2:30-5:30 PM
- Wednesday, December 19th – Jones Creek Regional Branch Library – 3-6 PM
- Thursday, December 20th – Eden Park Branch Library – 3-6 PM
Your East Baton Rouge Parish Library is proud to partner with BlinkJar Media to present Get Your Business Online with Google, a free program specifically tailored for local small businesses. Google is spending the money and resources to send Google’s National Trainer, Sixcia Devine, to Baton Rouge to discuss directly with business owners the Ultimate Marketing Playbook for Using Google.
Join Google, Simply-360, and BlinkJar Media for this one time opportunity on December 13, 2018, at the Main Library on Goodwood. The event starts at 8:30 AM. Breakfast and lots of coffee will be served.
Make sure to RSVP online! The first 75 RSVP-ers get awesome Google swag!
Bring your collectibles, antiques and other treasures for expert review at the FREE 18th Annual Attic Treasures & Collectibles Event at the Main Library at Goodwood, 7711 Goodwood Blvd, from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday, October 27! It’s very similar to what you see on Antiques Roadshow, which runs on LPB TV.
Hundreds of people lined up with their treasures at last year’s event, and everyone in the community is welcome. This is the time to raid your attic, cupboards, closets and garages for that interesting or antique art, old toys, pottery, jewelry, rifles, war artifacts, small furniture or other item of interest and see what the story is behind it and possibly more. There is a limit of three items per person at the event, and experts will be on hand to look at your collectibles and antiques.
Library staff will be available to demonstrate the use of the P4A Antiques Reference Database, frequently used by experts on Antiques Roadshow and available in-house and remotely to all patrons with an East Baton Rouge Parish Library card.
For more information about the 18th Annual Attic Treasures & Collectibles Event, call (225) 231-3740. You can find library resources on antiques and collectibles in our Antiques & Collectibles infoguide! To learn more about the Library and any of its other free programs, events and resources, visit our homepage.
The following Makers have generously donated prizes that YOU COULD WIN:
- Ishmael’s Fine Wands for Witches and Wizards
- PLTW- Getting Hands-On with Computer Science & Engineering
- Grimes’ Workshop
- Big Brown Bat Ceramics
- Embellished Treasures
- Tatted Lace by Hannah Grace
- 10/31 Consortium
- Tickle My Fancy Designs
- Okoye Couture- Hand sculpted and beaded Clay Jewelry
- Gateway Ink
- Red’s Ceramics
- Black Hart Handcrafted Soaps & Luxuries
This year’s Maker Faire has everything from NASA, to fire dancing with the Baton Rouge Fire Guild, to – well, stop by their website and check out the presentation schedule for yourself! You won’t want to miss any of it. This event is totally free, so get your ticket so you can enter into the door prize drawings, and join us on October 6th, starting at 10 AM!