With Kanopy, our BRAND NEW entertainment resource, you can watch up to 15 indie films, classics, documentaries, and more each month. Every film you play can be watched an unlimited number of times for three days before you need to spend another play credit to watch it again. Kanopy can be accessed from any device, including Roku! Watch anything from A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, an excellent Iranian vampire flick, to Plastic Paradise – The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, a documentary about what happens to the things we throw away. Set up a playlist and watch them one right after the other! Set up more than one playlist to make sure you remember to inflict very bizarre second of movies like Eraserhead on your friends! The possibilities are endless!
Being outside today seems like a soaking wet bummer, so if you’re staying inside and dry, entertain and train your brain with Lynda! Here are the top ten courses:
- Programming Foundations: Fundamentals
- HTML Essential Training
- Excel 2013 Essential Training
- Illustrator CC 2017 One-on-One Essential Training
- Project Management Foundations
- WordPress Essential Training
- Excel 2016 Essential Training
- Online Marketing Foundations
- Photoshop CC 2017 One-on-One: Fundamentals
Personal development is essential! And Lynda now has classes on soft skills – check out the “Career Development” section.
The Louisiana Housing Corporation (LHC) will be releasing details regarding funding guidelines for both the Neighborhood Landlord Rental Program and the Multifamily Restoration Gap Program, by issuing two separate Notifications of Funding Availability (NOFA’s) on May 15.
LHC will offer program seminars to answer NOFA-specific questions according to the schedule below. An overview of each of the two programs can be reviewed in the interim at restore.la.gov under the “Recovery Assistance” tab. Both programs are aimed at providing additional rental housing units across the state, especially in the HUD-designated 10 most impacted/distressed parishes affected between the March and August 2016 flooding events. Between the two programs, more than $74 million will be made available to landlords and developers to repair, reconstruct or create new rental units in Louisiana.
The Neighborhood Landlord Rental Program covers new and existing rental properties consisting of properties with seven or less units, and the Multifamily Restoration Gap Program covers existing properties with 20 or more units.
The seminars are designed to provide interested applicants an opportunity to ask questions about the application process prior to the application deadline for each program. Each program is set to move quickly in coming weeks in order to allow property owners to determine next steps needed to move forward with their construction efforts.
Property owners and developers interested in attending these workshops can attend one in any location offered in the list below, as the same content will be shared at each workshop. The content will also be shared online following the conclusion of the event series. Preregistration is required and can be completed online.
- Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 3:00 PM: East Baton Rouge Parish Library – Main Library, 7711 Goodwood Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70806
- Thursday, May 18, 2017, 3:00 PM: LaQuinta Inn & Suites, 42126 Veterans Ave., Hammond, LA 70403
- Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 3:00 PM: Lafayette Public Library – Main Library, 301 West Congress St., Lafayette, LA 70501
- Thursday, May 25, 2017, 3:00 PM: Ollie Burns Branch, Ouachita Parish Library, 5601 Hwy. 165 By-Pass, Richwood, LA 71202
TOMORROW at the Greenwell Springs Road Regional Branch, don’t miss the Baton Rouge Film Club’s screening and discussion of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest starring Jack Nicholson and loads of other stars! The showing will begin at 6 PM. If you want more, why not check out the book?
There’s always a celebration going on at the East Baton Rouge Parish Library (EBRPL), and this one’s just for kids! Monday, May 1, through Sunday, May 7, is Children’s Book Week. Kids ages 0-11 are invited to stop by any library branch location to enjoy having their picture taken holding their favorite book and enter a drawing for a FREE surprise book! There will only be one book giveaway per library branch location. Each child’s color photo will be printed FREE either immediately, or will be available for pickup on a later day.
Children’s Book Week is the annual celebration of children’s books and reading. Established in 1919, it is the longest-running national literacy initiative in the country. The program is administered by Every Child a Reader, and the Children’s Book Council (CBC) is the anchor sponsor.
Check out the events scheduled at each library branch location:
- 9-6 a.m. May 1-6, Baker Branch: Have your photo taken with your favorite book!
- 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday, May 1, Bluebonnet Regional Branch: Have your photo taken reading your favorite book to Pickles the Alligator!
- All day May 1-5, Carver Branch: Have your photo taken with your favorite book!
- All day May 1-3, Central Branch: Have your photo taken with your favorite book!
- All day May 1-7, Delmont Gardens Branch: Have your photo taken with your favorite book, and we’ll post it to our READ bulletin board which will display every child’s picture!
- 2-7 p.m. Thursday, May 4, Eden Park Branch: Have your photo taken with Buddy the Reading Dog holding your favorite book! A FREE color copy of your photo will be available for pickup Friday, May 5.
- 2-5 p.m. Saturday, May 6, Fairwood Branch: Have your photo taken with your favorite book!
- 3-5 p.m. May 1-5, Greenwell Springs Road Regional Branch: Have your photo taken with your favorite book! A FREE color copy of your photo will be available for pickup at noon Monday, May 8.
- 4-6 p.m. Thursday, May 4, Jones Creek Regional Branch: Have your photo taken with your favorite book!
- 2-5 p.m. Thursday, May 4, Main Library at Goodwood: Have your photo taken with your favorite book! A FREE color copy of your photo will be available immediately.
- 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, May 3, Pride-Chaneyville Branch: Have your photo taken with your favorite book! Afterwards, color a small frog finger puppet craft.
- 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. May 1-6, River Center Branch: Choose from two characters including an elephant or piggy to make a paper bag puppet craft! Later, have your photo taken with your favorite book!
- 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. & 3-5 p.m. Wednesday, May 3, Scotlandville Branch: Have your photo taken with your favorite book!
- All day May 1-6, Zachary Branch: Have your photo taken with your favorite book! A FREE color copy of your photo will be available for pickup Saturday, May 6.
You can find more information about Children’s Book Week at the CBC event website. To learn more about your local branch’s celebration, call them! The number for the Children’s Room at the Main Library at Goodwood is (225) 231-3760. You can also visit the Children’s Department online!
(If your child is between the ages of 1 day and kindergarten, why not sign them up for 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten while you’re at it? The fun never ends at the library!)
KiEtha Gage, SNAP Outreach Coordinator will be visiting the East Baton Rouge Parish Libraries to help clients apply for SNAP benefits, complete redeterminations, simplify reports, report changes, and print SNAP budget summaries with SNAP’s mobile unit. All information will be kept confidential and this service is free of charge! Dates and locations are as follows:
- Thursday, May 4 from 10:00 AM– noon at the Scotlandville Library
- Friday, May 5 from 10:00 AM- noon at the Central Library
- Saturday, May 6 from 10:00 AM-noon at the Eden Park Library
- Friday, May 12 from 10:00 AM to noon at the Bluebonnet Library
- Friday, May 26 from 10:00 AM to noon at the Jones Creek Library
- Saturday, May 27 from 10:00 AM to noon at the Carver Library
For more information, please contact SNAP Outreach Coordinator KiEtha Gage at 225-287-8857 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
That’s right, folks – we’re closed today and on Sunday. We’ll be open tomorrow (Saturday, April 15th), so come by to switch out your favorite items to read, watch, or listen to. Happy Easter, or, if you celebrate Passover, Chag Sameach!