Astronomer and former NASA consultant Kevin Manning will be at the Main Library at Goodwood from 7 until 9 p.m. Sunday, June 23, to lead a special presentation for all ages on the size and scale of the universe. Manning has always been passionate about astronomy, and wants to share the excitement! Attendees will learn about the stars and other celestial wonders using hands-on activities and a variety of visuals. After the program, we’ll go up to the Library’s third floor terrace at 8 p.m. for a whole hour of viewing the sky with a telescope. Stick around to find out what it takes to check out the Library’s professional grade telescope for viewing at home!
Launch your mission to make your community a better place by volunteering this summer! As a volunteer, you’ll help prepare programs, listen to younger children read as a Book Bud, help kids sharpen their math skills as a Math Bud, put books in order and more. It’s also an opportunity to make new friends, gain experience and earn service hours. If this sounds like fun, you’ll want to register to attend one of the required general training sessions. Please bring your summer schedule with you so we can put you on the volunteer calendar. Be sure to pick up a volunteer application as soon as possible from the Teen Services Desk. Each session begins at 2:30 p.m. at the Main Library at Goodwood. For more information, call (225) 231-3770. Here’s the training schedule:
•Tuesday, June 18
•Monday, July 1
•Wednesday, July 3
•Monday, July 8
•Wednesday, July 10
Have you ever wanted to learn a new language? Start today with Mango Languages! With more than 70 languages available, you’ll be conversing with confidence in no time. Find Mango in the Digital Library wherever you access the internet – you can set up a free account with your library card to keep track of your progress, or use Mango as a guest while you explore. Check out their most popular languages:
Need to decompress from a long day at the office? Maybe you’re just looking for a way to get creative and relieve stress. Either way, we’re here to help! Adults are invited to join us at the Library this month for FREE coloring sessions. We’ll provide the coloring sheets and colors, but you should feel free to bring your own. Here’s the schedule:
•2 p.m. Saturday, June 1, Main Library at Goodwood
•3 p.m. Monday, June 3, River Center Branch
•4 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, Scotlandville Branch
•2 p.m. Wednesday, June 12, Main Library at Goodwood
•10 a.m. Thursday, June 20, Delmont Gardens Branch
•2 p.m. Saturday, June 22, Main Library at Goodwood
•11 a.m. Wednesday, June 26, Central Branch
Join us at the Main Library on Goodwood this Thursday, June 6th, for a Lunch and Learn session with ReferenceUSA! If you’re looking for ways to identify new sales prospects, find lists of potential customers, locate your competition (even home-based businesses), and more, ReferenceUSA is a great tool for your small business. It’s rare, but every now and then, there IS such a thing as a free lunch – and a great free resource! We’ll start at 11:30 AM in Conference Room 102. Email us at email@example.com to register.
Children ages 0-18 are welcome to a free nutritious and delicious meal provided by the EBR Child Nutrition Program at locations all around the city. Meals are available on a first-come, first-serve basis, and will be provided while supplies last.
Here’s the schedule for the nine branches of the library where free meals will be available:
- Main Library – Lunch 11:45 am—12:30 pm Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesdays, & Thursdays
- Bluebonnet Regional Branch Library – Lunch 11:00 am—11:30 am Wednesdays
- Carver Branch Library – Lunch 3:45 pm— 4:15 pm Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesdays, & Thursdays
- Delmont Gardens Branch Library – Lunch 11:00 am—11:30 am Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Eden Park Branch Library – Lunch 12:00 pm—12:30 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Fairwood Branch Library – Lunch 11:00 am—11:30 am Mondays and Thursdays
- Greenwell Springs Rd. Reg. Branch Library – Lunch 10:45 am—11:15 am Tuesdays
- Jones Creek Regional Branch Library – Lunch 11:00 am—11:30 am Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesdays, & Thursdays
- Scotlandville Branch Library – Lunch 1:00 pm—1:30 pm Thursdays
Please call the EBR Child Nutrition Program Office at (225) 226-3768 for information about other locations.
We’re excited because it’s finally time for the FREE Friday Night Movies on the Plaza Series to return! Everyone can come to the Main Library at Goodwood at 7 PM every Friday in June. We’ll play a fun movie on the Outdoor Plaza that the whole family will enjoy.
Feel free to bring your lawn chair or blanket to sit comfortably while you watch. We will also simulcast the film in the Large Meeting Room for those who prefer an air conditioned option. Local vendor the Lemonade Bus will be on site for the purchase of refreshments. Here’s the movie schedule and descriptions:
Enjoy the 2013 animated tale of two sisters who learn that their love for one another is what’s most important! When the newly-crowned Queen Elsa unintentionally uses her power to freeze her town in an infinite winter, her sister Anna teams up with a band of hilarious characters that help her save the icy kingdom.
Watch what happens when a terrible curse reaches a young girl’s Polynesian island and she courageously answers the ocean’s call to help set things right in this 2016 Disney action-adventure film!
In this 2018 adventure/sci-fi film from Marvel, T’Challa who is heir to the hidden but advanced kingdom of Wakanda, must step forward to challenge a past foe, and lead his people into a new future.
- June 28 – The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
After five peaceful years, Lego Duplo invaders from outer space come to wreak havoc on a flourishing community, in this 2019 computer-animated sequel
The library is closed today, May 27th, for Memorial Day. All locations will open at their regular time tomorrow. The Digital Library is always open.
This session kicks off the Library’s third annual Cool Careers Summer Series! College is getting more expensive by the year, but there’s good news! This career exploration series gives teens and young adults the chance to speak to experts about different in-demand career paths – what the job is really like, the advantages and disadvantages, and the best ways to break into that industry. Career talks will happen at 11AM Wednesdays in May, June, and July, at the Main Library on Goodwood.
Here are the careers we’re investigating this summer:
- May 29: Finding and Getting College Scholarships, featuring school counselor Megan Davenport. Details and registration here.
- June 5: Careers in Digital Media, Film, and Entertainment, featuring Chris Stelly of LA Economic Development. Details and registration here.
- June 12: Careers in High-Paying Skilled Trades and Aviation, featuring the BRCC Aviation Mechanic Department and Connie Fabre of the Greater Baton Rouge Industrial Alliance. Details and registration here.
- June 19: Careers in Forensic Science and Technology, featuring Claire Shepard of LA Delta Community College. Details and registration here.
- June 26: Careers in Animal Science, featuring the LSU Vet School Wildlife Rehabilitation Program. Details and registration here.
- July 10: Careers in Videogame Design and STEM
- July 17: Careers in Broadcast Journalism and Video Production, featuring Stuart Poulton and LaTangela Sherman of Cumulus Media
Registration is required. For more information, call the Career Center at (225) 231-3733. To register, go online to