SATURDAY, JANUARY 11, 2020
10:30 AM – 12:00 PM
MAIN LIBRARY AT GOODWOOD
ROOM 102, 1ST FLOOR
Registration required. Please call 225-231-3733 or register online here.
You know how to write a resume, but what about all the other letters involved in a job search?
- What kind of cover letter will get hiring managers’ attention?
- What needs to be contained in a thank-you letter after an interview?
- How can you reach out to a friend and ask for help with your job search?
These questions and more will be answered in this free seminar, presented by Certified Professional Resume Writer Lynnette Lee.
Whether or not you celebrate this particular holiday, we wish you a merry festive season with your loved ones. To those who celebrate, Merry Christmas! Just a reminder – all branches of the East Baton Rouge Parish Library are closed today, and will reopen on Wednesday morning for our regular hours. The Digital Library is always open!
Science lovers of all ages are invited to learn about Brownian motion and how it limits the sensitivity of gravitational-wave detectors in a FREE discussion led by celebrated LSU physics and astronomy professor and world-renowned physicist Dr. Gabriela González at the Main Library at Goodwood at 1 p.m. Saturday, January 11.
A native of Argentina, Dr. González is a leader in gravitational wave research, including having served as the global spokesperson for the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) Scientific Collaboration, a program that includes more than 1,000 scientists around the world. In 2017, LIGO leaders were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics after proving predictions made by Albert Einstein nearly 100 years ago!
For more information about this event, call Mimi LaValle in the LSU Department of Physics & Astronomy at (225) 578-2261.
December 18th is Bake Cookies Day! Here are some neat resources to get you started on beautiful and delicious treats that might just make the perfect last-minute gift.
CreativeBug can teach you how to do basically anything crafty, including designing and decorating intricately frosted cookies.
CultureGrams has recipes from all over the world! Find something new to try this winter. The above recipe is from Czechia!
What’s your favorite cookie recipe?
Stuck at home doing holiday prep and desperately in need of a break? Check out all the digital resources you can use to freely entertain yourself without stepping away from your holiday cookies (if that’s a thing you do):
- OverDrive – One-stop shop for all your ebook and audiobook needs! Can you call something a “shop” if it’s free? You get the idea.
- RBDigital – EVEN MORE ebooks and audiobooks! If it’s not in OverDrive, it might be here.
- TumbleBooks – Books for the kindergarten through third graders among us. If you need a way to keep your little ones from complaining too much about being stuck inside, this is a great one!
- RBdigital (formerly Zinio) – Digital copies of all your favorite periodicals!
- Flipster – Magazines without downloading!
- IndieFlix – Short and full-length indie films you can access with your library card!
- Qello Concerts – Filmed recordings of live concerts! What a great way to get out of the house without actually, you know, having to get out of the house.
- Kanopy – Documentaries, foreign films, and almost everything else you could possibly want!
- OverDrive – EVEN MORE THINGS (what can’t it do?) (Control the weather. Ugh.)
Learn some things!
- Languages! The linked infoguide has information about most of our language learning provided software, like Mango, Muzzy (a great resource for kids!), ESL, and Signing Savvy! We’ve also got Pronunciator.
- Computer programming! So many options. Safari Tech Books is great if you like to learn from books, or sites like Treehouse, Atomic Training, and Lynda can teach you via recorded video and audio lessons that show you exactly what to do to get the results you want.
- Why not try going back to school with the Gale Virtual Reference Library? It has lots of titles to help you prepare for entrance exams like the SAT, GRE, GMAT, SAT, Nursing and Civil Service Exams.
There’s literally nothing you can’t do!
Wrap up the end of the semester, or get ready for the new one, with free online homework help from Tutor.com! With tutoring available in over 40 subjects and grade levels from kindergarten to college, the folks at Tutor.com are always available to help you puzzle through that math problem or bring your essay from drab to fab. Give them a try and watch your grades fly.
It’s getting pretty nippy out there – keep yourself warm with the fire of knowledge! Here are the most popular Lynda courses you can take for free with an internet connection and your library card:
- After Effects CC 2015 Essential Training
- After Effects CC 2018 Essential Training: The Basics
- Rhino 5 Essential Training
- Cert Prep: Project Management Professional (PMP)
- AutoCAD 2018 Essential Training
- Maya 2019 Essential Training
- Autodesk Civil 3D 2020 Essential Training
- Online Marketing Foundations
- AutoCAD for Mac 2019 Essential Training
- InDesign CC 2019 Essential Training
The holiday season can be stressful. Come unwind with some adult coloring sessions at your local library! We provide the coloring sheets and art supplies; you provide the creativity. There are two sessions left at the Main Library on Goodwood:
- 2 PM Wednesday, December 11th
- 2 PM Wednesday, December 18th